Sunday, May 18, 2003

Smoking Nazis? The Smoking Police?

I went to see a concert last night at Irving Plaza... the band playing was Soulive, a local NYC groovy, funky, shakin-your-ass band that I have been seeing since late 1999. Anyway, there were a series a incidents last night, where security was being too overbearing trying to prevent people from smoking ciggies and other things. Two of Haley's friends got thrown out for smoking! Well, aside from the smoking drama, the show was great.

I like the layout and sound system at Irving Plaza, and I've seen nearly 50 shows there (a guesstimate, probbaly more like 60 or 70 shows). It used to be one of my favorite places to see a concert. But even before the smoking ban, and during pre 9.11 NYC, I had several run ins with Irving Plaza security. I know it's not the easiest job in the world, but for the most part the guys that work there are assholes, which makes seeing shows there a lot less fun these days! Why spend the money to go see a band when I know I'll be harassed? That's why I'm not so thrilled to be seeing 2 Dark Star Orchestra shows there in early June. But the music is what pulls me there, so I'll suck it up and deal with the Nazis.

No comments:

Post a Comment