Sunday, October 05, 2003

Free Skippy!!


The Daily Dave is no more! The author has been pressured by his employers to take down his web log!

Here is what you find if you visit The Daily Dave: "The Daily Dave has been shut down..."

This enrages me... since I am self-employed, I can (and will) say whatever the fuck I want. Today, I fully appreciate the notions of Freedom of Speech in America. Well, the last time I checked, I live in America, right? Land of the free? It's not China in the early 1990s? Not Russia in the early 1980s? Not Germany in the 1940s? So why has an innocent man been pressured to shut down his web journal?

The reasons why the Tampa Tribune made Skippy shut down his site is 100% pure and total bullshit. Skippy is unable to say how he truly feels which angers me to no end. He is a great guy, with funny things to say. I would not be blogging today if it were not for the positive influence Skippy has been to me.

What is the harm here? Skippy has not said anything malicious to warrant such a harsh suspension. He has never blogged anything that would incite riots, acts of terrorism, or un-patriotic forms of aberrant behavior. If he had a few not-so-nice things and blogs to say about his shady company... well, shit, that is par for the course here in America, right? Everyone complains about work. At least he didn't show up to work with a submachine gun like a disgruntled employee with gripes to settle, looking to pick off his nasty co-workers one by one.

Skippy's only fault was that he wrote words of truth... his own words, and now his employer wants to abolish and censor his words... his thoughts... his life.

This ends today. A new fight begins. Free Skippy! is the mantra for a new generation of bloggers. I fear that if these assholes get away with censoring his weblog... then it will be a matter of time before there is a Blog Police state set up, looking to take down blogs and other journals with questionable (or not so questionable material). Yes, if it's The Daily Dave today, then maybe next week I'll get a complaint from a future employer, or from the people that rent me my apartment, or from a company or corporation that refuses to sell me their product... all because I exercise my first amendment right of freedom of speech.

The Tampa Tribune has permanently etched itself onto my permanent Shit List. From this moment forward, I urge all my readers to boycott the Tampa Tribune and do not support any of their advertisers... until... Skippy can freely speak his mind.

For more information on this saga, please visit my new blog: Free Skippy!

No comments:

Post a Comment