Wednesday, October 08, 2003

Kill Bill!

I got to see a sneak preview of Kill Bill: Volume I yesterday. I will blog a review later. But for now, I must say that I was surprised at Kill Bill, because I fucking loved it! Finally, someone decided to use the big screen format to do something creative, instead of trying to make money by just filing the space with 100 % pure Hollywood bullshit and wasting one of the most important mediums and forms of expression that has been made available to everyone. I applaud Quentin Tarantino for his efforts and his best film that he made in at least 10 years. He took a lot of chances and they all paid off. Yes, I rank this film between Resevoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. Tarantino tells the story of the young O-Ren Ishi (Lucy Liu) entirely through anime. The anime scenes were trippy and wonderful. Tarantino blended more than one medium in making this film. The final fight sequence was shot both in color and an eeire black and white to create a more layered effect for the climax of the film. Yes and the script was over 202 pages, which is insanely long, and part of the reason they split the film into two parts. Kill Bill: Volume II is due out next year. Charlie's Goldfish was 102! Most scripts are 90-120 pages in length.

Plot: This is a revenge flick. Pure and simple. Bill (David Carradine) and the Deadly Viper Assassination Squad a.k.a. DiVAS (Michael Madsen, Lucy Liu, Daryl Hannah, and Vivica A. Fox) reek havoc at The Bride's (Uma Thurman) wedding. Only the bride survives, she even lost the child she was carrying. Four years later, she awakes from a coma, ready for vengeance on her former employer and his associates. From L.A. to Austin, Texas and Tokyo, the Bride leaves a trail of devastation. But will she finally kill Bill, the one man who has shattered all her dreams?

Screenplay Sample:

The BRIDE (V.O.)

"Looked dead, didn't I? Well I wasn't, but it wasn't for lack of trying, I can tell you that. Actually Bill's Last bullet put me in a coma. A coma I was to lie in for four years. When I woke up... I went on what the movie advertisements refer to as a Roaring Rampage of Revenge. I roared and I rampaged and I got bloody satisfaction. In all, I've killed 33 people to get to this point right now. I have only one more. The last one. The one I'm driving to right now. The only one left. And when I arrive at my destination... I'm gonna Kill Bill."

No comments:

Post a Comment