Friday, June 11, 2004

Today in Phistory... June 11, 2000


Phish ticket 6.11.00, Hibiyia Park, Tokyo, Japan

Phish 6.11.00, Hibiya Outdoor Theatre, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, Japan

Set I: First Tube, Punch You in the Eye, Horn, Ginseng Sullivan, Stash, Dirt, Possum, It's Ice, Farmhouse

Set II: Birds of a Feather, Free, Beauty of my Dreams, Bug, David Bowie, When the Circus Comes to Town, Back On The Train, Harry Hood

Encore: Character Zero

A rare afternoon show at the outdoor theatre in Hibiyia Park, Tokyo. (Think Central Park.) Big Frog, Japan's version of The Grateful Dead opened up for Phish and Senor fell in love with Sato, the female lead singer. They played a Beatles cover song, Baby You Can Drive My Car. It was raining all afternoon, until Phish started playing and the rain stopped. We had decent seats. I was pretty wasted. Senor was flirting with a local girl who was sitting next to us. Matsumi asked us if we had wives. All Japanese girls ask me that question. I always laugh. During the encore, a rainbow magically appeared, which led the crowd to go compeletly insane. Highlights were PYITE and Hood. The encore rocked. After the show, we hung out in the park for several hours, mingling with locals and Americans. I ate octopus eyeballs with Yuh and the guys from Horse. I met the lead guitar player from Big Frog. I wrote Heather a postcard by moonlight. The concert was videotaped and show on Japan TV later that summer.


Phish Poster in the Tokyo Subways

No comments:

Post a Comment