Saturday, April 22, 2006

I Didn't Forget About You...

I've been busy covering the World Poker Tour Championship at the Bellagio. It's the final event of the season and is the largest WPT event of all time with a record number $3.7 million going to the first place winner. 606 players bought in for $25,000 each and at the end of Friday's action, there were 71 players remaining. The final table is scheduled to be taped on Monday night.

I've been hanging out atthe Bellagio and soaking up the scene. I'm having fun because I have a lighter approach to covering this event which allows me more freedom and the chance to explore the writer in me instead of the reporter. I've written three quality posts on the Tao of Poker. I had been bumming about my lackluster performance with regard to my poker writing. I felt as though I hit the wall. With a new attitude and approach, I'm enjoying myself at work for the first time in months. I had an enlightening conversation with a Steve Rosenbloom, a real sportswriter who writes for ESPN and the Chicago Tribune. Since that moment, I feel as though I'm on the right track again. And my work is flourishing.

Here's three posts I wrote that you should read:
1. Rebirth
2. Dazed and Confused: Day 3 at the WPT Championship
3. Hump Day Friday
I recommend that you read all of them. There's very little technical poker content in them. I tried my best to describe the circus-like scene that's taken over the Bellagio everyday the past week. I'm inspired by the direction I took with my coverage and that I wasn't afraid to take a risk and do something different. Writing is about making decisions and choices. I made a crucial one and it saved me. I guess you can say I'm no longer lost as far as where I want to go with my writings.

No comments:

Post a Comment